APPROPRIATE TREATMENT OF PARTICIPANTS IN THE ARCHITECTURAL EXPERIENCE PROGRAM
2. Pay time-and-one-half of base wage or salary for hours worked more than 40 hours in any one week.
3. Do not hire participants in the Architectural Experience Program on a "contract" basis.
4. Try to avoid lending out participants to other offices for a period of time.
5. View the AXP process as an important and intrinsic part of your practice and of the profession.
6. Try to maintain employment of a participant in your office over a continuous period of at least six months.
7. Invite participants to meetings with clients to observe in order to help them to learn from the architect-client interface.
8. Try to integrate your participants into all aspects of your practice.
9. Respect participants in the Architectural Experience Program as people and as productive members of your staff.
10. Promptly complete the employment verification forms which are required by NCARB for them to receive credit for their experience. Be truthful and open in your evaluation of their work.
Equal Opportunity suggestions for employment of minorities, women and persons with disabilities:
Have a clear vision of what you are trying to achieve with equal opportunities.
Set goals for equal opportunities
Have a long-term plan to achieve equal opportunities
Have a policy that is published, understood, and implemented
Have a partner or director of the firm made responsible for the policy
Ensure that minorities, women and persons with disabilities are well-represented at all levels and in all areas
Identify and remove barriers for minorities, women and persons with disabilities
Monitor the progress of minorities, women and persons with disabilities and the reasons why they leave
Accommodate non-linear career paths
Establish mentoring systems for minorities, women and persons with disabilities