Thoughts on Speech Communication
- To say that communication is important to human life is to be trite, but that bit
of triteness witnesses to an invariable truth: communication means life or death
to persons....Both the individual and society derive their basic meaning from the
relations that exist between [persons]. It is through dialogue that man accomplishes
the miracle of personhood and community.
- --Reuel Howe, philosopher The Miracle of Dialogue
- Speech is human nature itself, with none of the artificiality of written language.
- --Alfred North Whitehead
- Speech is power; speech is to persuade, to convert, to compel.
- --Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Half the world is comprised of people who have something to say and can't
and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.
- --Robert Frost
Return to Speech 101 Course Over-view.
Return to The Undergraduate Center